Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Guest Blogging: Trend spotting with the ever ripe and brash, Cherie Tomato



Cherie Tomato may look like any regular tomato to you but this tomato has seen and done it all.  Need the inside scoop?  Need the perfect companion at lunch and dinner?  Need someone who keeps it fresh?  Then Cherie is the tomato for you and you can catch her on this blog, on the second Wednesday of every month. 



Stick a slice of bacon in it and call it a trend.  Please, how 2009.  I love bacon but I’ve seen all the contenders – cupcakes with maple frosting and streaky bacon, chocolate with smoked bacon bits, bacon ice cream.  I was chatting to Gordon Ramsay the other day, “darling” he said “everyone is f**king at it, bacon f**king this and that, learn to cook properly and you won’t need so much f**king bacon to make everything taste good”.  Quite when this trend will end I simply don’t know and goodness knows the effect it’s having on vegetarians, poor things miss bacon terribly and here they are, being teased at every turn.  They’ll be campaigning against ice cream next; the Japanese are leading the craze for curious ice cream flavors with their fish and meat varieties, replete with raw meat and fish swirled in for texture.  Now I did see Mojito and Merlot ice cream the other day which pleased me terribly, goodness knows, mummy needs something to keep her sweet, but meat and fish?

I’ll tell you what else is wrong, this miserable economy.  Frugality was fun for a week but keeping up my Champagne lifestyle on a Cava budget is horrific for a pampered tomato like me.  Just the other day I had to trade in my cherry red Ferrari for a convertible VW.  Then I find out that the childhood and freshman favorite, the Grilled Cheese sandwich is being given a gourmet twist.  Fancy cheeses, indulgent fillings, artisan breads, honorary grilled cheese month, nods from celebrity chefs and their cronies.  Grilled Divas more like!  Please, this is just a miserable excuse to make us think we’re eating something grander than we are.  I said to Thomas Keller at the French Laundry the other day, “Do not try and pull a fast one on me and replace my foie gras terrine for a couple of slices of toasted bread with some cheese in it”. 

I did see that two delightful gents in LA have found a marvelous use for a double-decker bus - rip out the seats, turn the lower deck into a state of the art kitchen, install a rooftop dining area and serve up inspired dishes, fresh drinks and some LA sunshine.  Between you and I, this is the most fun I’ve had on wheels since I exited the Rolling Stones tour-bus in the 80s…

Anyway darlings, my Italian cousins, the sundried tomatoes are coming in shortly so I must dash.  If you’ve seen any food “trends” that you’d like to share or events that you feel I really must be at, then drop me a line below.

 

1 comment:

  1. I love Cherie - she is one hot tomato! Love that double-decker bus idea too, we need one here in town! Looking forward to her next post XO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails