Friday, December 18, 2009

All I want for Christmas is . . .


At Christmas time, remember, the calories don’t count!  Chocolate Yule log should be eaten in hearty slices with a side order of trifle and a bowlful of brandy-blazing Christmas pudding.  A mince pie should be considered a staple breakfast item and a napkin full of canapés and five glasses of champagne is a reasonable meal supplement during the holiday season. 


It is with great disappointment, however, that mince pies are not an American Christmas Tradition; according to TV shows and fancy food magazines, gingerbread houses are all the rage in America.  Naturally, I'm wondering who it is that has the time or skill to bake, make and decorate a gingerbread house like Martha Stewart’s?  I tried my hand at cookies the other day and failed miserably so I’ll pass on the gingerbread house but it did remind me of the infamous British TV quote: Well, goodnight, and I hope your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's.  Over here in the US, croissants turn into crescent rolls, Yule log becomes Bûche de Noël, devilled eggs seems to be having a renaissance and I’m still waiting to have my first cup of Eggnog - like in the movies!   


Thank god that alcohol is a consistent, and as I’ve mentioned in the past, Christmas day is a great excuse for drinking Champagne for breakfast.  This year we’re going one better and adding a Bloody Mary bar into the mix because nothing says, “festivities” quite like a large bottle of vodka and champagne flutes full of bubbles at 10 am.  Inevitably, when I'm completely full of food and alcohol I'll inch towards the leftover turkey and holiday ham for the traditional stuffing sandwich... and perhaps a last pick of the cheese board to round the whole day off.  


As Wizard said: I wish it could be Christmas every day.  My waistline is ever so thankful it’s not! 


(Next Friday is Christmas Day so there will be no blog but if you got to the end of this article and didn't click on 'American Christmas Tradition' in the second paragraph then think of this as my little gift from Saturday Night Live)













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails