Friday, November 13, 2009

I went to a BBQ and a football game broke out!

I have come to the conclusion that one of things I love most about living in America is the emphasis on food.  I write this article in the lull between Halloween and Thanksgiving and I’ve gone from thinking about spooky cookies to juicy turkey as quick as you can say “star spangled banner”.

This is, of course, a marketing ploy constructed by corporate America to sell people things they didn't realise they needed or wanted.  Due to this, a year in the life of an American flows from one event to another; Valentine's Day, to Mardi Gras, to Paddy’s Day, to Easter… and so on and so forth.  For me, that’s an opportunity to think about the year as one party and meal after another! 

Next up is Thanksgiving, and sure it’s about the family, feeling blessed and victory over the British but it’s also about that meal, every delicious course of it and I’m already dreaming about a Southern spectacular.  This year I’ll be giving thanks to the turkey and trimmings, the cornbread, lashing of cranberry sauce and the pecan pie.  Last week, during Halloween, I was lusting after everything with a hint of spiced pumpkin about it: coffee, cream cheese, cakes and cocktails.

I feel the same way about weekend football, (of the American variety) for me those games aren’t about the prowess of the guys on the field but the food on my plate.  I long for those chicken wings doused in buffalo sauce, the side of blue cheese dip, the waffle fries, the cold beers and the cocktail specials.  In fact, falling out of a bar after 4 professional football games and 8 pints of Long Island Iced Tea is fast becoming one of my favorite ways to kick back at the weekend!

Then there is the great art of Tailgating, it’s like one huge party played out in the parking lot before the big game.  Thousands upon thousands of cars and trucks pull up, get their grills (BBQ’s) on and have a giant cook out and its as much a part of the big day as the game itself.

For the time being I’ll be looking forward to Thanksgiving followed by Christmas with a side of Hanukkah thrown in.  On New Years eve we’ll hit the reset button and start anew on another year of events and dining, and seeing as this is America, if you don't go big, you may as well go home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails